Hiking Poles on Kilimanjaro
Although a journey of a lifetime, climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is no easy task. Of course, you can do it; but, your body might get a little weary along the way. Not to fret though. Simply grab some hiking poles to aid in your ascent.
How Hiking Poles Help
Hiking poles provide countless benefits for even the most skilled of climbers. For example, hiking poles provide:
- Uphill Assistance: When used on an incline, hiking poles transfer some of a climber’s weight to his shoulders, arms, and back. This can reduce leg fatigue and provide thrust to one’s ascent.
- Downhill Assistance: Poles reduce the impact on a climber’s legs, knees, hips, ankles, and feet by about 25%. This is especially the case when trekking downhill; and, less impact means increased stamina and safety,
- Balance: Poles easily help a climber maintain balance in difficult terrain.
- Increased Traction: Hiking poles obviously mean a climber gains two extra points of contact with the ground. This significantly increases a person’s traction on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, and loose rock.
- Added Strength: Climbers can use poles to help propel them forward and upward. This translates into increased strength and power.
How to Use Hiking Poles
As with most climbing aids, there is definitely a right way to use hiking poles. Please gain a quick tutorial with the following video from Sierra Trading Post.
One of the greatest feats of climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is getting to the top. You don’t have to be a superhero to get there, but you might need a little help along the way. Just grab some hiking poles to get the help you need!